Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Autism

Thoughts on Autism
Written by Marcia Weinstein

My best friend once told me that God doesn't give us more than we can
handle. When my 18-month-old son, Evan, was diagnosed with a speech and
fine motor delay, I knew I could handle it. When we were told he had
Pervasive Developmental Disorder, I thought I could handle that. When I
heard the word "AUTISM", I didn't think I could handle THAT!

Although I knew that "autism spectrum disorder" is a spectrum of varying
degrees, the worst possible scenarios and questions flashed through my
mind. Will Evan grow up "normal"? Will he succeed in school? Will he have
friends, a girlfriend, a career, a family? Will he live with me forever?
Will he ever be able to live on his own? The answers seemed to elude me,
especially since I expected to get those answers immediately and all at
once.

The subsequent journey has been just that, a continuous journey. No day
has ever been like any other. We are fortunate that Evan is very high
functioning. He speaks, reads, writes, and has friends, plays, and fights
with his brothers. He expresses his feelings appropriately, most of the
time. To the stranger, he's just a typicaI7-year-old boy...maybe a bit
less mature than his peers, but still pretty typical. Evan's disability
presents itself in his ability to use and process language, and
behaviorally, in the frustration that ensues from not being able to
express himself the way he wants to.

1 in 166 children are diagnosed with Autism. I have no opinion on whether
it's an "epidemic"...whether it's the result of genetics, environment,
diet or vaccines. I only know what it's like to deal with my own child.
But I do know that all parents of autistic children have stresses on their
lives that are unique to them. Maybe these articles will help some of you
understand our journey.

MARCIA

1 comment:

  1. Hi, This is the first time I visited your weblog - I just wanted to let
    you know there are many times autism and add can be helped with a change
    of diet. My four year old son appeared to have add and we tried
    everything. Ryan bounced from floor to ceiling day after day. One day I
    was searching for an answer of what to do and came upon the Feingold diet
    - It was a lifesaver! Simply eliminating artificial food color (i.e. red
    #40, yellow #5, yellow #6 etc.). My son changed within three days time
    from being extremely wild and crazy, angry and aggressive to being able to
    sit and work on puzzles, cuddle and the aggressive behavior slowed
    dramatically. Many people balk at the thought of removing artificial
    coloring from a child's diet - but if we adults simply use common sense
    and pay attention to what we are putting into our children's bodies, we
    may find the answer to certain childhood "diseases".

    Julie

    Mother of 3 boys ages 4 through 9. 7 year old is on Autistic spectrum.

    ReplyDelete